Thrift Radiates Happiness


Hey Lovebugs! 
Back in my hometown of Birmingham, I once visited a disused bank which was hosting an art exhibition. On entering the abandoned building, the words 'Thrift Radiates Happiness,' was emblazoned across the vaulted roof and quite frankly, I can't think of a better way of kicking off this new blog than borrowing that sentiment. 
What was once a means of saving money has now become a culture and I couldn't be happier that the second hand, vintage, preloved (whatever you want to call it), market is THRIVING 
(even if it means the likelihood of stumbling across vintage gems, is waaaay harder than it once was).

For those intrepid souls who have followed me off a social platform (@hippietrailvintage) welcome and hello! To my friends and acquaintances who perhaps are wondering what I'm up to now, the writer in me couldn't help start oversharing again!


My name is Sophia, I'm not in my twenties anymore and I'm ok with that. 
I'm also a mother of two girls but watch this space because if I get my way, there'll be way more laughter around the table (I'm aiming for four)! 
I'm happily married to my Mr Sunshine, he's the butter to my toast, the whisky in my soda (you get the idea...). We've been together almost ten years, married for two and have been everywhere from Lagos Nigeria, to Newquay together. 
As my husband is fiercely private and my kids are way too young to consent to being featured (our youngest Mimi is only 9 weeks old), I won't be featuring them on here, if I do it''ll be a soft focus distance shot, probably of their backs. 

That's a lot of what I won't be doing. Here's what I will be doing:  

Vintage Style (60s/70s)
Setting up my Vintage business
Thrift Finds
Decor 
Music
Surfing 
Sea Dwelling and story telling
Travel
River town life
Feminism 
Reflections on Motherhood 
Conversations with friends 
Everything in-between 

Once we're friends you'll know that Dolly Parton is a modern day apostle in this household, I'm such a big fan that I recently went to a Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers tribute gig...with my parents (because I'm that cool)! Music wise I love 70's and have affections for Black Sabbath right over to Bread, to name a few of my faves. 
When I'm not pregnant I love to surf, as I'm landlocked and have two kids under 2 I haven't done a whole lot of that recently...but I will.

My love language is Mediterranean food and I'm saving up to go travelling around the Greek Islands.
Back in the wilderness of my youth I travelled a lot (here comes a humble brag...), I have lived and worked in Ethiopia, Senegal and Slovakia, I only started travelling abroad at seventeen, I went to Croatia solo to rescue vultures on a conservation project. I also used to run a yoga and surf retreat business, my favourite trip being to Hoddevik in Norway, living in a traditional house with some truly special yogini's. 
I've surfed everywhere from Cape town to Costa Rica, Scotland to Nigeria as well as much of the UK with the landlocked surfers. Surfing in my husband's country of Nigeria with Godpower, Nigeria's only surf coach, was pretty special (Hi Godpower if you're reading this)! 

If I had to describe my style it's witchy hippie chick straight out of the 70s! I hope coming here leaves you feeling inspired to try second hand as it's not only good for the planet it makes you feel pretty damn good too!

That's all for now, but back real soon (I'm aiming for once a week)! I really want to create a community here so please don't be shy, tell me how you're doing by leaving a comment, I promise I'll read them!

Peace, love and all that jazz 

Sophia x 

Comments

Popular Posts