Country with flare.


In the week I broke my phone, in such a completely 'Soph way' it's actually laughable, (it dropped off a shelf, whilst watching a video tutorial about Carrie Bradshaw's hair), I learnt a lot about how much I rely on technology and how anxious I am not having my palm sized universe. How sad is that? Being a millennial, I clearly remember life pre-phone and then the sudden influx of mobiles into the mainstream. It still amazes me how it completely changed EVERYTHING. 

What I've missed the absolute most, (aside the cheeky Instagram scrolls for inspiration), is the WhatsApp voice notes from friends and family. Those little morsels of connection when living away from loved ones that act as a raft on lonely, swampy days. As a mom of two and currently on maternity leave, those little messages ciphered in between nappy changes and running errands, are a slice of normality that helps me feel close to people I love, who aren't on my doorstep. 

Being phoneless and therefore unable to take any new photos, I've decided today's blog post is going to be an ode to some of my style muses. With my Microsoft office package also playing up (so I haven't been able to write) and even my local supermarkets have run out of plant based milk, so no tea - well, honestly I feel like all my pick me ups have disappeared! Therefore this blog post feels like an island oasis in the middle of a storm! 

Lainey Wilson 

The hat. The flares. The velvet. I mean there's just so much to love! Not only is Lainey Wilson a country music star, who hustled in Nashville for ten years before being signed, she's also got incredible style. Bellbottom country as she coins it, is her retro style of country music that I just adore. I've listened to her album 'Saying what I'm Thinking' over and over, and when I've been able to, have loved watching, her 70s inspired music videos where I can lust over her flares and boho jewellery. 


Being post partum I've not been able to wear my high waisted jeans for a while, preferring flowing hippie dresses which are more comfortable on my curves. Recently, I've been able to get into my oldest, most favourite pair of denim flares (£3 from HM YEARS ago) and have enjoyed teaming them with a Dolly Parton t-shirt courtesy of my mom and my recently thrifted Aztec cardigan from Vinted (only £5)! Wearing high waisted stuff is taking some getting used to, but every now and again I'm enjoying reviving my 70's cowgirl style!  

Vintage Vixen 

My woman crush on Vix started gosh, maybe ten years ago (?!) when I stumbled upon her fabulous blog Vintage Vixon (which you can become addicted to here). As her blogger profile describes she is, a jumble sale-ing, car-booting, skip-diving, charity shopping hedonistic hippy chick in love with life, India and Vintage clothes. She hails from my neck of the woods (West Midlands) and describes her style as Woodstock refugee meets rolling stones groupie with a bit of vintage Bollywood thrown in. There is so much to love! It started with her clothes but my crush on her deepened having read her weekly blog posts about her travels, vintage boutique she takes around UK festivals and her gardening updates! I hope to be as cool as Vix one day too! 

 


Dolly Parton 


I can't use the word inspiration without immediately bringing Dolly Parton to mind, that woman, to quote a fan, is "one majestic bitch," (heard that on the podcast 'Dolly Parton's America and it still makes me lol). When I'm having a bad day I often ask myself 'what would Dolly Parton do?' (Which coincidentally, Lainey Wilson has a song with that title)! She is a modern day apostle and there are so many reasons to love her beyond her clothes. As this is a sartorial sneak peek into my style inspos, I'm particularly devout to Dolly Parton's 70s wardrobe. The hair, the flares, the big smile, she is gaudy and charming and just everything I love! 

Well my lovelies, given the week I'm having and the fact my toddler I can hear, is out of her nap I'd better get going but I hope my silly, fizzy post about fashion brings a little bit of sugar if you're having a meh week. If you're having a good week, then well bloody brilliant! Here's to more good days! 

Love Soph x 









Comments

Popular Posts