Has anyone seen Daisy Jones and The Six?


 I feel like every blog post is starting off as an apology for my tardiness.  

So let's flip the script. 

Thank you for being patient with me, the truth is I've been deep in a writing vortex, working on my novel and it feels WONDERFUL to have the words pouring out of me. I'm in that dreamy stage where all I can think about is words on the page and if I'm not thinking of plot twists, I'm daydreaming about  character arcs and themes. 

In the week my baby figured out how to wave and I'm 60 pages deep into my novel, I've been grappling with an insatiable need to talk about Daisy Jones & the Six! For some unbeknown reason, nobody in my immediate vicinity appears to have read Taylor Jenkin Reid's book, or seen the subsequent Amazon Prime series featuring Riley Keough and Sam Claflin. I am literally dreaming about Sam Claflin's Billie Dunne with all the supressed opinions I have on the show! 

So I put it to you dear blog reader... 

Has anyone read the book and/or seen the TV series? Aside from the absolutely lust worthy 70s aesthetic, the acting has been sublime, and it's one of the only times I can honestly say a TV adaption has lived up to the hype of a best seller. If anything I think they managed to make the characters of Billie Dunne and Daisy Jones a lot more likeable on screen than I found them in the novel. 

Did you know that they filmed in Sound City, the same studio Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album was recorded? The TV adaption was under Reece Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine film company, which I think gave the series a slickness that you associate with anything Reece puts her hand to. The accompanying album Aurora, has also being doing incredibly well, I believe it was the most downloaded album on iTunes recently. As many incredible songwriters (such as Marcus Mumford to name a few) worked on it, it's a really, really great ode to 70s rock whilst feeling fresh. 

In short. It's chef's kiss good, so please can someone watch it so I can fangirl with you! 

Being so immersed in the 70s fashions on Daisy Jones and The Six has definitely rejuvenated my wardrobe. Here's a round up of my style excursions this week: 


My first outfit is my go to hippie chick ensemble that is also super comfy. The dress was second hand from Depop (£11), its originally Shein, (which I deem to be Satan's clothing line), but despite it's hideous start in life I really like it. I have had to sew it which I think is a massive indication of the quality these fast fashion brands provide. The crocheted waistcoat is years old that I found in a charity shop as is the belt. The cowboy boots are from eBay and I think were around the £10 mark.  


This dress was actually something I found in a charity shop and listed on Hippie Trail Vintage (on Vinted), it literally got snapped up within a day of being posted which made me super happy! It's an original vintage piece which I've struggled to date as it has no logo label other than size. At a guess it could be 60's but pattern is making me think it could be 80s. I thought it was super cute but the cut looks more 1950's style which is not my cup of tea. Like most millennial women I went through a 50's vintage stage, where I tried wearing victory rolls in my hair and peplum dresses, but ultimately it didn't fit my lifestyle and was sooooo much effort. I never felt comfortable and always like I was in costume. I LOVE the vintage 30s/40s/50s style on other people though, I think it looks so chic. 


Next up is another Hippie Trail Vintage stock example. I'm being really strict with myself about this shirt because it gave me 70's Dolly Parton vibes which we all know is my kryptonite. It looks fab with a pair of flares and as it's size large it's got lots of scope to be worn either fitted or loose depending on preference. 




I did a double take when I found this UK made, vintage velvet jacket for peanuts in my local charity shop. Again it's another piece I wanted to absorb into my wardrobe but unfortunately for me as soon as I listed it on Hippie Trail Vintage it got snapped up. My husband asked me why I listed it for so cheap when other velvet coats are being sold at £25 upwards (this is in charity shops, on eBay or Depop it'd be silly money). Of course when I source things, I increase on the price I bought it for, this covers my search time, petrol, packaging material and also gives me a little profit margin, but I pride myself on trying to keep things reasonable. I know how hard it is out there for people to buy sustainably and it gives me so much joy to receive messages from happy customers who are over the moon about finding something unique and at a reasonable price. Maybe I'm a terrible business woman, but the second hand Gods must have blessed my good deed as I've found my dream 70's coat for a fraction of the price you usually find online (will photograph it once it's here)! 



If you're wondering about my stoned expression in this photo, this is a picture of a woman who has a teething baby waking up in the night - no amount of filters can disguise those eye bags! 


This crocheted dress is from Miss Selfridges (I bought it in the mid 2000's) and when there's a hint of sun it's still one of my favourite pieces to pull out of the wardrobe. Teamed with my vintage waistcoat and Moroccan jewellery the outfit looks straight out of the 60s! I don't know about you but I'm missing this spring sunshine from this photo shoot, it's been replaced by grey, miserable drizzle! 



When I was a teenager I could predict the weather with my hair - if I straightened it , guaranteed rain. For some strange reason I thought I'd stress my tresses out with straightening irons and have a foray into my younger years when poker straight hair was THE thing to do. After having to do two attempts to get it straight and this sleekness lasting approximately 0.1394 seconds when I left the house, I won't be doing this again any time soon! 


Oh and my dodgy home dyed Ombre looks absolutely shocking when you can see it straightened. Thank goodness for wavy hair disguising poor dye jobs! 


Here's Ozzie dog, our old Frenchie being particularly cute during his afternoon siesta. Me and a fellow dog owning momma were talking about the inner conflict of being a dog momma and then having kids. Inevitably Ozzie has gone down the pecking order since I've had my girls and doesn't get the walks or attention he used to have when it was just him and me, (to be fair we worked at Battersea Dogs home together so he was with me constantly and using his brain all day with training and commuting-perhaps a slightly unusual set up anyway)!
 
Alongside feeling dog mom guilt, you also get the guilt of dragging your kids out on cold, rainy walks when you do prioritise the dog. It's constant guilt! To appease this I've bought Ozzie lots of mind games that requires him to have to work out how to get a treat. We've also hit that sweet spot with my toddler where she's suddenly interested in Ozzie and has been playing with him loads. Coupled with some massive hikes and weekends spent out with us I think Ozzie is pretty happy despite not working at Battersea anymore! 
 

Here's a random photo of the waves back (to achieve this look I wash and in damp hair add mousse, then tong a few sections for a shaggy, waved effect). 


Right it's time to get back to some fiction writing. 

Ta-ra folks! 


Love Soph 
xxx 



Comments

Popular Posts